I’ve returned to America for a month-long visit and will be updating from March. Bare with me as there is a ton of new stuff to add. Feel free to poke around the old blogs and read the new ones. There are A LOT!

*******************************************************

In 2008 I participated in a cultural exchange program with a university in East Asia. I enjoyed my time and really came to love the culture and the people, so much so that I decided to come back for a whole year! Now that I have completed my first year, I decided to stay for yet another year – so the adventures continue.

You are invited to join me in the adventures that come with readjusting to a completely different culture and all the drama that this life holds.

Friday, September 4, 2009

American Soldier

Today, I hit a pothole. I refuse to call it a wall, I haven’t been here long enough to hit a wall yet. Regardless, it was a rough day. I have been waiting for important mail to come for 2 weeks and for some reason, today I just hit a breaking point when it still had not arrived.

As I was walking by the flagpole, I really missed seeing our flag flying at the top. On my way to the school, we passed a military convoy on the highway. It made me think of my brother-in-law and all of the other American soldiers and servicemen in my life. I am so proud to be an American and I am profoundly grateful for the sacrifices that they continue to make. I’m not just talking about the ultimate sacrifice of dying or even going into battle knowing that death is a possibility, but about the everyday sacrifices that are made: moving around every few months/years, living far away from family and home, raising a family alone while dad/mom is off serving. So, to Jerry, Courtney, Pete, Mitchell, Kendra, Amanda S, and everyone else…Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

In addition to missing seeing Old Glory flying, I am really missing my American food from back home. Smithfield’s BBQ, Basking Robins, Goodberry’s, Chick-fil-a, milk, cheese, good bread, spaghetti, pretty much anything dairy…

Yes, I can get quite a few western things here and I have found some food here that I really like, but it’s just not the same to get the local version of food from home. There is a Pizza Hut and a KFC in my city, but no McDonald’s. Who would have thought?

No comments:

Post a Comment