I’ve returned to America for a month-long visit and will be updating from March. Bare with me as there is a ton of new stuff to add. Feel free to poke around the old blogs and read the new ones. There are A LOT!

*******************************************************

In 2008 I participated in a cultural exchange program with a university in East Asia. I enjoyed my time and really came to love the culture and the people, so much so that I decided to come back for a whole year! Now that I have completed my first year, I decided to stay for yet another year – so the adventures continue.

You are invited to join me in the adventures that come with readjusting to a completely different culture and all the drama that this life holds.

Friday, December 25, 2009

Fa Ra Ra Ra Ra

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!! I woke up this morning excited because it was Christmas, but not as excited as usual, because it was only Christmas where I am and I didn’t have anyone to share with. I got on Skype to see if I could talk with Grandma, Allie, somebody. I had hoped that I would catch them on Christmas Eve before the girls (Bella and Chloe) went to bed so that I could open my presents with them. Too bad, I had just missed them. They went to bed early so Santa could come. I also got to talk to Chad and Heather for the first time since I left. I was so good to see and hear them!

I hung around for a while and then I got to talk with my parents and sister/brother-in-law, and nephews in Germany to open up my presents. It was so cool to see them as they woke up and saw what Santa had left them. We hung up so they could have breakfast and I could have lunch and then planned to Skype again while they opened their presents.

I ate lunch at a noodle restaurant just outside the school gates. On the way back, I thought of the scene from A Christmas Story where they eat Christmas dinner at the Chinese restaurant and all sang “Fa ra ra ra ra ra ra ra ra ra!” Sadly, I had no one else to enjoy the humor of the moment with, but I laughed by myself all the same.

That evening, I talked with my family back in America and opened my presents with them.

I really enjoyed my Christmas day curled up in front of the computer screen next to the space heater watching my family and sharing Christmas with them. Though it was a bit unconventional, it was still nice to get to spend the time with them. What a great blessing!

No comments:

Post a Comment