It’s Christmas Eve, but it certainly does not feel like Christmas. I taught class this afternoon and then ran back to change clothes and catch a cab to the hotel for our Christmas party. We were “invited” to attend the party, but on the condition that we perform. I am really getting tired of performing like a trained monkey or something. I don’t really have a talent, but decided that I could learn a few Christmas carols on the piano to play while others sang along at the party.
When I arrived, I was greeted by my friend Jenny. I felt very nervous about playing in front of all these people and so I asked Jenny if I could practice before hand. The piano was all closed up so I could barely hear any sound coming out. I also felt like I just wasn’t hitting the keys rights. We hopped in the buffet line, boxed out the line jumpers, and sat down to eat some food before we had to perform.
The stage was being guarded by the riot police in full gear – helmet, bulletproof vests, etc – though I’m not sure why. Michael Jackson and Santa poured a champagne fountain. It was very bizarre to say the least. Some of the foreigners performed, but I got out of the deal because all of the guests left before I performed. Thank goodness! I did, however, have to draw door prizes for about 10 minutes.
At dinner, we found out that we had been booked at a second party, so after the first party we jumped in the car and drove to the next hotel. There, I was roped into singing Feliz Navidad with some of the other teachers. I really did not want to sing and especially not Feliz Navidad (probably because it brings back bad memories of Spanish class in elementary school). I decided to suck it up and talked to Father about it. I told him that I didn’t want to do it, but if that was how I could serve him tonight then…Feliz Navidad! I was handsomely rewarded with free hot chocolate after my performance, so I can’t complain too much.
Thursday, December 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment